Monday, June 3, 2013

Thanks Is Such A Small Word

'Full many a gem of the purest ray serene
The dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear;
Full many a flower are born to blush unseen
And waste their sweetness on the desert air'.
(Thomas Gray)

In this our dear world where inconsistency and its-undergoing - continuous-changes are the hall marks, some things, nay, some people stand apart. Involuntarily and unknowingly they enrich it, add meaning to the lives of a few by just being there.

I feel so fortunate and blessed to have such people who have stood by me in thick and thin, absolutely selflessly giving and caring and showering affection unconditionally and thereby have made my life's journey smooth, convenient, comfortable. I am feeling acutely conscious how callous I have been to hardly ever acknowledge their contribution in making me feel special, valued, loved and above all so much respected.

Over two and half decades they have been there almost noiselessly with their inconspicuous presence made conspicuous only on my birthday or with congratulatory compliments on my having got some recognition-social or official. Most noteworthy has been their presence when the going was tough, traumatic, tiresome and when darkness loomed large with all its frightening apprehensions, they were there like the unseen strength, holes of light and by being there in the thick, they handed me hope and courage to go on unfailingly.

Uncountable are the gestures that they asserted their being with me especially in my hours of need and deprivation and hopelessness. At the same time numerous are the instances when an unexpected call or a visit with a bouquet or a gift would bring cheer. Honestly, I cannot even recall how often I have turned to them for a small errand or a big job without deliberating much nor expecting either but they have n e v e r let me down. I know they must have gone out of the way often only to facilitate the fulfilment of my that particular hour's wish and requirement howsoever mundane and routine or impending, urgent.

I confess I myself have so often forgotten their birthdays but they would gently remind me-sometimes the next day without a complaint and I used to feel guilty as to how on earth I could forget it!!

In their own hour of personal injury or trouble I have hardly ever been of any help and more often than not I would come to know of it only when the unkind tide had passed.

I would like to tell them that they have made me feel very rich and at times complacent, too, for I had them to count for sure as friend, mentor. It feels good that undefinable relationships nurtured over years become assets one can only feel proud of and grateful to God for.

Thinking reveredly of two persons -both of them may be too shy to be named herein. To one of them I am wishing happy birthday and to another a belated happy birthday after ten days.

Thank you-both of you-for being there. Bless you. Pray for your well being, health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment