Sunday, February 18, 2018

Jozo

The tiny little Jozo came to my life more than twelve years ago. He was introduced to me by his mentor as a very possessive, short tempered smallest kid amongst the lot of eight. He was brought in a small basket with Pari and both looked awesome, so very cute snuggled together in cold winter. Gradually I realised his behaviour was always demanding and he would not let me fondle Pari and always asserted his presence silently seeking the touch of the palm on his forehead. A few months thereafter a month old Sharon, the german shepherd joined the lot but despite the spaniel cocker's size, Jozo had the audacity to dare sharon. Pari was submissive, more beautiful and soft spoken with all feminine qualities and graceful gait. Jozo remained the self proclaimed brat of the house till I was transferred to a place where I had neither the house nor the help to fend Jozo and Pari. The sensitive little pari couldn't take the separation in a stride and she succumbed to epileptic attack and left this world far too soon.
Jozo had to be in exile for seven years till the new year day of 2015 when I could take him to a decent livable accommodation with a help to enable him live respectfully. To my utter surprise, Jozo accepted the new environs quite easefully, uncomplainingly as perhaps he became the master of the house with no competition or challenge from anyone. I realised he had grown to be more insecure as he would definitely mind being taken away  as the workaholic  me was seen around lesser than he perhaps needed. His friendliness to all guests was exemplary. I remember vividly how he would not move an inch from under the settee I sat working for hours together with my team for official assignments at home perhaps fearing that unless he accepted the predicament, he might be forcefully sent out. Since then I have always found him following me to anywhere I moved in the house during  the sparse hours that I was home.
His entry to the sanctum sanctorum of the house was prohibited and he would always sit outside covering the entry to the room I performed Pooja in. Once I was a little upset with whatever and I cried while sitting in my sacred space and he could not hold himself and rushed to sit in my lap. It was such a touching gesture that I felt he just did not know how to wipe my tears but made an attempt to tell me he was there to share whatever was bothering me. Jozo is unable to take sportingly when I go to work in camp office in wee hours of night. He would force enter the room and make a space for himself under the table as if hiding himself even from me.
Jozo is actually not just a child (he is by any standard a senior citizen now!) but also a friend in need and a teacher who teaches without sermons. ‎He is perfect mentor personifying true and unconditional love. Like an elder one in the family he tries to show he cares in so many ways- in his pristine mood, he would lie down and seek touch of the feet; in his assertive self, he would jump on the sofa and sit like the master of the house; in his urge to motivate he would run while I walk (its another matter that he would want me to finish it asap and usher me inside the house); in his sulking mood, he would not like a n y o n e dare take him for a ride; in his humble  demeanour, he moves with his head lowered as if to prove his sense of obedience.
I shiver to think of his going away given the short span of life he can have as destined for the tribe. At the same time I also feel what if he were not there and how many many many joys I would have been deprived of that he has facilitated for me just by being there in my life.
I cannot thank God enough to bless me with such a kindred soul as Jozo

No comments:

Post a Comment